Re: rpm slowness

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 04:13:27PM -0200, Ademar de Souza Reis Jr. wrote:
> [root@optimus root]# time rpm -e foobar
> error: package foobar is not installed
>
> real    0m5.791s
> user    0m2.460s
> sys     0m2.560s
>
> CPU: AMD-K6/500
> I'm using rpm-4.0.4.
>
> The point is that most of that time is spent after the error message is
> showed.

You might try looking at -vv output to confirm.

rpm-4.0.4 verifies database integrity on close. Put the following
in /etc/rpm/macros
	%__dbi_other  %{?_tmppath:tmpdir=%{_tmppath}} %{?__dbi_cdb}
to disable verification.  Note lack of "verify".

> Besides that, is anyone looking for improvements in the rpm performance?
> Because my feeling is that it's getting more slower (I mean really) after
> each release...
>
> If someone has any benchmarks to send, it would be interesting to take a
> look at them (maybe comparing rpm-3, rpm-4{0,1}, dpkg...)

I compile rpm with -pg every 3 months or so, and I know where
all the bottlenecks are.

I know most of the fixes too. :-)

FWIW, rpm is not getting slower. Go try rpm-4.0.2 and see what you think.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)