Re: storing database outside of prefix

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 04:31:36PM -0500, Joshua Nichols wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 June 2003 01:36 pm, Tom Shore wrote:
> > Take a look at the macros file. You'll want to make sure %_var and
> > %_dbpath are set to the values you want.
> Thanks, editing the macros set everything straight.
> > Also, a word of warning. I tended to get transient db3 errors running rpm
> > versions less than 4.1 on solaris 8. Upgrading solved that problem, but
> > also entailed a certain amoount of patching to get it to work properly.
> > Check the list archives from March of this year.
> I'm getting the db3 errors you mentioned, so I'm going to trying to build
> 4.1.1 now. I'm running into some compile errors though. So far, they all
> occur in elfutils/lib
> First, <stdint.h> couldn't be found (part of glibc it would seem), but
> apparently <sys/int_types.h> is the solaris equilivant.  After fixing that, I
> get:

Yup, new-fangled standard stuff, solaris does differently.

> gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I./../libelf -I..   -Wall
> -Werror -O2 -c `test -f 'xstrndup.c' || echo './'`xstrndup.c
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> xstrndup.c: In function `xstrndup':
> xstrndup.c:28: warning: implicit declaration of function `strnlen'
> xstrndup.c:29: warning: implicit declaration of function `mempcpy'
> gmake: *** [xstrndup.o] Error 1
> strnlen would be trivial to add to the source, but I would think that Solaris8
> has a version of it somewhere (apparently its not in <string.h>). As for what
> mempcpy... I have no idea what it is, nor where it would be defined.

mempcpy is to memcpy as stpcpy is to strcpy, i.e. ptr to end, not beginning,
of target buffer is returned after copy.

But something else is wrong.

strnlen? in rpm-4.0.4? I have no idea what you are looking at ...

Ah, got it, Berkeley DB and elfutils.

I suspect that Berkeley DB has compatibility routines.

FYI, solaris has compatible libelf, it's gonna be easier to rip elfutils
(which has some bizzarre C99 coding conventions, be forewarned) and use
the solaris libelf instead imho. This should be easy to achieve, if not,

There are only two places that rpm needs/uses libelf (but there may be some
GNU extensions as #define constants needed).

There's also one place, tools/debugedit.c, where libdw is needed. I suggest
(unless you are under employed and/or overly curious ;-) just avoiding debugedit
entirely, it's a helper to create -debuginfo packages that you are unlikely
to need and/or want on solaris.

73 de Jeff

Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)