Re: Requires(...) vs. PreReq

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 12:25:46PM +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> > If you see a differnece between PreReq: and Requires: (ignoring
> > dependency loops, different problem), then someting is broken.

Again, dependency loops are a whole different problem. Sure there's
a difference there, because rpm has always guaranteed that a PreReq:
is installed when needed by a package.

> I know that this is a dependency loop but it is impossible to exclude
> them in the reality. A package which is required by scriptlets may not

That simply isn't true.

> cause circular dependencies currently, but the next version can cause
> them.

rpm used to stop instantly when encountering a dependency loop. That,
too, was legacy behavior.

Shall I revert the new behavior to the status quo ante in rpm?
That should prevent dependency loops forevermore.

Better solution is to identify the point where the loop should be snipped,
and explicitly add per-distro config to indicate the precise point. That
is working nicely for anaconda, for example.

Best solution is to fix the packages and avoid the loop entirely. That's
difficult for individual packagers because it requires an understanding
of the universe of dependencies, but it's not hard at all for a distro
release engineer to identify loops.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ