Re: Requires(...) vs. PreReq

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 07:37:15PM +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> When I think about it... loops in Requires(...): (or PreReq:) should be
> considered as packaging errors indeed.

Heh, nod.

Thet major difficulty is that the packaging error is detected
at install, not build, time so it's very hard to get packages fixed.

One approach is to attempt test install of transaction containing the
minimum number of packages necessary to do the dirty during build packaging.

If loop, complain right then and there. That of course requires a universe
of package headers (e.g.  rpmdb-redhat of the day) to be maintained on the
build machine.

Doable, but no one has attempted yet. If build system can maintain
rpmdb-redhat incrementally (or at least sufficiently), the rest is
50-100 lines of code in rpmbuild. I'm getting there, but the rate
limiting factor is
	The build system needs to provide a reasonable candidate
	set of headers that might be installed.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ