Re: OK, may be dumb, maybe newbie question

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Hattie Rouge wrote:

> I need to build something that requires the kernel include files.  So I
> get the kernel srpm and install it, (rpm -ivh kernel*.src.rpm) but while
> it creates files in /usr/src/redhat/*, it doesn't create a
> /usr/src/linux-2.4/include.  I have another machine which I keep up2date
> including sources and *it* has /usr/src/linux-2.4/include.  I don't use
> the --src flag on up2date for the first machine.  I only want to keep
> sources on the one box (the second one).
>
> Anybody explain why this happened and what I need to do to get the
> kernel sources unpacked on my second box?  Do I need to rpmbuild the
> kernel source?

The kernel headers used for development have moved to glibc-kernheaders.
Just need to install that.

> Second question: why the heck doesn't rpm put srpm files into the
> database?  I can't see a downside to it but it is very inconvenient to
> not be able to see if I have a srpm installed or not.

Sure there is  a downside.  You can install an srpm as a regular user.
Also, if you have multiple developers on the same box, they can have
the same srpm installed to their own private %_topdir by setting this
in ~/.rpmmacros.   If the database was updated this would not be possible.

Cheers...james