Re: requireing one of several packages

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Chris Chabot wrote:

> Apologies for the wrong subject! Mailer had a bad mood ;-) Sorry about the
> list-noise

happens...

> > The solution (read: workaround) i often see is that a define is used for
> the
> > conditional, something like:
> >
> > %define build_db3 1
> >
> > %if %{build_db3}
> > Requires: db3-devel
> > %else
> > Require: db4-devel
> > %endif
> >
> > You can even carry this method to the configuration of the program:
> >
> > %configure \
> > %if %{build_db3}
> >     --with-db3
> > %else
> >     --with-db4
> > %endif

Well, the configure line doesn't have a --with-db3 or --with-db4 line.
It's just --with-db={path}

Someone else mentioned requiring the file /usr/include/db.h, and that's
what I will probably use, but how would you compile a version that looks
for libdb.so.3 or libdb.so.4? Aren't the library file names integrated
into the binary? I suppose I could create a statically linked binary, but
that's REALLY ugly. :>