Re: what about APT-RPM?

Jefferson Smith wrote :

> I am wondering what problems have been experienced or foreseen when using
>
> apt-get from the packages that are made to install on RedHat Linux.
> The rpm files are at
> ftp://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/apt/redhat/9/en/i386/RPMS.extra/
>
> I also wonder, would I often have trouble where the repository (such as
> the site above) didn't automatically reckognize a package as an update
> because of it's naming scheme?
>
> Any information about apt-get on RH9 is appreciated.     --jeffs

You can get (a bit) more information and some links here :
http://freshrpms.net/apt/

Basically, apt for rpm works quite nicely, although not perfectly and can
be used with all rpm-based distributions, which includes Red Hat Linux and
Yellow Dog Linux, both of which I offer repositories of.

You may also want to check out "yum" which does the same helpful basic job
in a much cleaner way, but lacks all the "fancy" stuff, including a nice
GUI front-end (some day, eh seth!? ;-)).

Matthias

Raw Hide 20030616 running Linux kernel 2.4.20-20.1.2013.nptl
Load : 0.02 0.27 0.39