Building Custom Kernel RPM from SRPM

I am trying to build a custom Redhat 8.0 Kernel RPM from a custom patched kernel-2.4.18-24.8.0.src.rpm. I have built my patch, modified the kernel-2.4.spec file to apply my patch. Put the patch in the /usr/src/SOURCES directory and am ready to go.

To build both a binary and source RPM I use: rpmbuild --target=i386-redhat-linux --clean -ba kernel-2.4.spec

The build appears to go on ok, it takes about 2 hours but I don't end up with any RPMS in the /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 directory or any other arch directory. and nothing in the SRPMS directory.

No clues from rpmbuild, no errors (other than normal kernel compile errors). I end up with a /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.4.18/linux directory that has a kernel built and my custom modules built. The /var/tmp/kernel-2.4.18-24.8.0_custom-root directory has the boot and lib/modules built and ready to package.

But no packages ever get built.

Please help! I have searched everywhere and beat my head for a day now without success.

Thanks a bunch.

Tom