strip during install

When the %install section runs, it strips executable programs.
One of my files is a borland JBuilder executable which is an executable
wrapper around a java jar archive - which must not be stripped.
How do I turn of the strip and compress that normally occurs during
%install.
Currently, I have the executable's modes set to "-x" in the tar source.
Then, in %post I change it to "+x".  But this seems a kludge - and requires
the source tarball to be in a known format for rpmbuild.