resource temporarily unavailable error

Hi list,

Sincere apologies if this has been asked a lot before.
I did try to search the archives but there were no results, a prob with the
archive?

when I try to run any rpm command, I get the following error:
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Resource temporarily
unavailable (11)

I'm logged in as root, so it can't be permissions, theres plenty of room on
var, and running # fuser -v /var/lib/rpm/* returns nothing, so I assume
another process doesn't have a lock on the file.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much

Paul