Re: Extract spec file from rpm?

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:29:53AM -0700, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>
> > Use rpm2cpio to extract the payload, use cpio to extract the specfile,
> > is the basic approach.
> >
> > If you can figger a way to do this in one line on a pipe (i.e. without
> > creating atemporary file and copying with a glob), then *please* send
> > me a patch, and I'll add a popt alias to rpm.
>
> rpm2cpio foo.srpm | cpio -idm '*.spec'
>
> is what I always use....
>
> > I gave up on cpio(1), far too many Baroque'n options :-)
>
> cpio syntax sucks ;-)

Hmmm, dim memories start to come back. What stopped me is the ability
to extract to stdout so that the whole extraction could be done
without affecting file system. If extraction can be cone to stdout,
then it becomes possible to query spec files contained within src.rpm's
without having to fuss with cellophane wrappers and such.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)