Re: Problems with *.src.rpm

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 19:07, contact.me@hittozu.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a quite "big" problem: I got some packages .src.rpm, I copy them
> into /usr/src/redhat/SRPM , then give rpm --rebuilddb packet_name.src.rpm,
> it works but the *.rpm isn't in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 what's the
> problem? I really don't manage it..

Um, 'rpm --rebuilddb' is the command to rebuild your RPM database, not
the command to rebuild packages.  You need 'rpmbuild --rebuild
package.src.rpm'

Also, you should NEVER build RPMs as root.  I would suggest checking one
of the many good RPM FAQs available out there on the web.

> And the question is not finished :-(((
> I downloaded some *i386.rpm packages from freshrpms.net , try to install
> them with rpm -i packet_name.i386.rpm and the output error is: "not an rpm
> package (or package manifest)"...what's the reason?

Are you sure that you got the correct version for Red Hat 8 ?  Did the
files download correctly (at least check the size, date, etc)?  What
does "file filename.i386.rpm" say the file is?

--Jeremy