.la libtool libraries - to package or not?

libtoolized libraries install /usr/lib/libfoo.la "libraries" containing meta
information about the library like name, version, library dependency
information and the like. I am not a libtool expert, but I believe that
libtoolized software can "link" against these libraries and use that
information ("link" means using the libtool wrapper).

There are some packages deleting/excluding these files from the buildroot
while other do keep them explicitely. What are the reasons for doing so? Are
the reasons for not including *.la files still valid today?

E.g. what should the current rpm policy concerning including *.la files (in
-devel packages) be?
--
Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de