Re: Managing multiple simultaneously installed "package instances"

> Although RPM makes provision for both multiple versions
> of a package and multiple releases of a
> given version, it doesn't appear to make
> provision for manipulating multiple simultaneously installed
> versions or version releases of the same package on a system.

Is it wise to say that more than one version of PACKAGE_NAME
can be simultaniously "installed" on one given system ?

> The "-allmatches" erase option seems to come closest to
> recognizing the need for this flexibility, but the statement
> "Normally an error is issued if PACKAGE_NAME matches multiple packages"
> from rpm(8) points to a lack of support for this level of flexibility.

if *anything* fails during a software
upgrade/installation/downgrade/erasure
the database will yield bogus information. but what can you do ?
if a package doesn't "completely" erase; its not right to say that
it's still there and its not right to say that its gone.

I would hazard a guess to say that this "-allmatches" `rpm -e' option
is to ease the job of reapairing broken rpm databases.

     "Remove  all  versions  of the package which match PACKAGE_NAME.
      Normally an error is issued if  PACKAGE_NAME  matches  multiple
      packages."

I havn't checked but I'm sure that "Normally" means `rpm -e' without
the --allmatches option.

> The Unix package system includes the concept of a "package instance"
> and provides the means to manipulate the package database at the
> instance level. Commands such as pkginfo(1M), pkgchk(1M) and pkgrm(1M)
> all take package instance identifiers as an argument as opposed
> to just a package name.

Hmmm; Unfortunatly I'm really not familiar with the
"Unix package system"

> How does one emulate the Unix package instance capability under RPM?

I guess you can pretend that multiple package instances are possible
while making assumtions about the rpm database (knowing what kind
of situations leave you in an inprecise database state). you'd
still end up with a package system that doesn't allow multiple
versions of the same package to be simultaniously "installed".

> Is this level of flexibility possible?
It is definitly incorrect to say that it's not.

Like someone on this list has already stated
"Open source starts with everyone of us..."
(I would put your name here and the exact phrase
but I deleted the email ... sorry)

If you have access to make/gcc/emacs and ofcoure
all the source you need; anything is possible ;-)

Good luck!
		-Tristan