RE: Managing multiple simultaneously installed "package instances"

Thanks very much for the response. The reason I want multiple versions of the same package installed on a single system is to support co-deployment of applications.

Applications frequently rely upon the same platform software, but have been tested and certified on different versions.

By using relocatable packages and by managing the directory namespace it is possible to simultaneously install and use two versions of the Apache web server, for example.

Unix (specifically System V Release 4 and beyond) manages this by maintaining discrete installation instances for each package version ... I've not been able to find similar functionality on Linux under RPM.

Perhaps we could ask SCO to put Unix packages into the public domain? ... Oops IBM may already have done that for us!

Anthony.