Re: Managing multiple simultaneously installed "package instances "

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 02:02:48PM -0700, Shortland, Anthony wrote:
> Thanks very much for the response. The reason I want multiple versions of
> the same package installed on a single system is to support co-deployment of
> applications.

If co-deploying into chroots, use multiple databases with --dbpath.

If co-deploying multiple instances of relocated packages, you're gonna
have to deal with the fact that there is only --allmatches on erasure,
so you have the following choices:
	a) uninstall everything and reinstall each package to upgrade.
	b) use --install with --relocate and live with multiple dead
	instances of headers.
	c) make a RFE at http://bugzilla.redhat.com for a way to
	upgrade/erase a specific instance of a relocated package.

> Applications frequently rely upon the same platform software, but have been
> tested and certified on different versions.

This smells like chroot(2) to me, if "version" refers to the distro.

> By using relocatable packages and by managing the directory namespace it is
> possible to simultaneously install and use two versions of the Apache web
> server, for example.

And this does not, since "version" obviously refers to Apache.

> Unix (specifically System V Release 4 and beyond) manages this by
> maintaining discrete installation instances for each package version ...
> I've not been able to find similar functionality on Linux under RPM.

rpm has discrete package instances too, what's missing is a CLI to do more
than install.

> Perhaps we could ask SCO to put Unix packages into the public domain? ...
> Oops IBM may already have done that for us!

If "Unix packages" makes you happy, that will work too.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)