RE: Managing multiple simultaneously installed "package instances "

For the time being I've implemented a workaround by concatenating the
package, version, os and processor names to make a distinct RPM package
name. e.g.:

Name        : shutils-2.0-linux-intel      Relocations: /opt/spf
Version     : 2.0                               Vendor: (none)
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Wed Feb 26 07:51:41
2003
Install date: Wed Feb 26 07:52:56 2003      Build Host: w0252sfo
Group       : pkg/shutils                   Source RPM:
shutils-2.0-linux-intel-2.0-1.src.rpm
Size        : 3190994                          License: none
Signature   : (none)
Summary     : shutils
Description :
GNU Shell Utilities

... this feels all hacky to me, but seems the only way to manage the
co-deployment of multiple instances of relocated packages.

Is there a discrete package instance stored in the database, then? Could one
modify the command line interface to accept a fully qualified instance?
Where can you find the package instance (the query command above doesn't
seem to report it).

Thanks,

Anthony.