Re: RPM and symlink in %files

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 06:45 pm, M M wrote:
> Im trying to pkg a directory that is actually a symlink so in
> my spec file :
>
> %files
> /rar_rpm     # which is symlink to  /rar
>
> The install appears to go okay but when i look at what RPM did
> , I see it do two things : it created the target install
> directory (I called focus)  and I also see see another focus
> but I see a bunch of characters at the end of the name.
> Ex -->  focus;3e6e803f   -> rar
> The attribute shows it being a link however I can't cd to it.

The symlink name with the gibberish characters generally happens
when rpm tries to extract the symlink, but finds it can't
actually create the symlink--usually because there's already a
directory with the same absolute path.

If there's just a file in the way with the same path, rpm will
happily remove the file and extract the symlink in its place.
It refuses to do that to a directory, because the only way to
reliably remove a directory without corrupting the filesystem is
to rm -Rf it.  For obvious reasons, it's generally a Very Bad
Thing(tm) for any program to just do that automatically.  So rpm
just creates the symlink with a different name.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"