RE: Managing multiple simultaneously installed "package instances "

Having read the rpmlib section of Maximum RPM and taken a look at the 4.1
source, am I right in saying that the "primary retrieval key" that is our
candidate to represent the "package instance" is the "record number" used as
an offset to retrieve records from the RPM database by rpmdbGetRecord()?

So the job at hand is to implement a command line argument like "--instance
#" or "--record #" to restrict selection to a single record from the
database (via the RPM Library API, of course).

In searches of the RPM database, the record number is returned as the
recOffset field of the dbIndexRecord structure ... is that correct? So a
user supplied record number could be used to filter the result set of a call
to rpmdbFindPackage ... resulting in a single package instance, or none if
the supplied record number and package name do not match up.

It seems that the balance of API calls that manipulate installed packages
either take a record offset directly (like rpmRemovePackage()) or a Header
pointer (like rpmVerifyFile()) which I imagine is acquired via
rpmdbGetRecord ... is this correct?

Anthony.