Re: rpm file question

On 16 Mar 2003, Frank Mancuso wrote:

I was wondering if I could use the wildcard * instead of naming all the
files in the package. like so

%files
/usr/X11R6/bin/*
/usr/X11R6/lib/*

or do I need to name all the file.

You can safely do that. If you do this however, you will not be notified by RPM (>=4.1) if, in the future, new files are introduced (maybe even files that you don't want in your package).

If there's a directory that is specific to your package (like /usr/lib/my-package/), it is better to not include the wildcard so that the directory is also added to your package (and thus removed when uninstalling the package).

Kind regards,
--   dag wieers,  dag@wieers.com,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --
«Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors»