RPM segfault installing source package

I've been hunting around for a solution to this problem, I noticed
someone else had a post on a similar problem, though I don't know if the
root cause is the same.  Anyways, I tracked it down to this:

# rpm -i package.src.rpm
Segmentation fault

Compiled RPM with debugging symbols in (this is rpm 4.1), and came to
this line:

Breakpoint 1, unameToUid (thisUname=0x82caa80 "silvaran",
uid=0xbffff724)
    at ugid.c:47
47              pwent = getpwnam(thisUname);

Even if I try tracing instructions from that point it crashes, yet when
I try this little sample program (was googling around like a dufus), it
works fine:

#include <pwd.h>
#include <sys/types.h>

int
main( int argc, char **argv )
{
   struct passwd *p;
   p = getpwnam("silvaran");
   endpwent();
   return 0;
}

UNTIL I compile it statically (gcc -static ...).

So I'm guessing it _might_ be an RPM problem (since RPM is compiled
statically), but I'm curious if anyone else has this issue.  It started
when I migrated my system to LDAP, yet I still can't track down any more
details on the problem.  I have yet to see any other apps with this
issue... any ideas?

glibc 2.3.2, with the usual ldap bindings (nss_ldap, pam_ldap).

--
Scott Van Wart <silvaran@nbnet.nb.ca>