Re: Cross compiling rpm packages

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Mark Hatle wrote:

Cross compiling RPM packages takes a large amount of pre-existing knowledge to accomplish, it's not something you just "do". If you want examples, I suggest you find the ELDK (Free PPC embedded distro) and figure out how to rebuild it.

It shouldn't have to be that way. It would be nice if someone made RPM packages for cross-compiling to several targets. But I guess the target-audience is too limited and the perceived specialization value too high.

I know it took our company 2 years to figure out how to do it "well", and we are continuously improving the process with each release. It definatly requires specialized RPM macros...

It would be great to see these things upstream, though.

Kind regards,
--   dag wieers,  dag@wieers.com,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --
«Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors»