[Fwd: rpm and patching]

Hello,

My understanding of this mail contents

With RPM packaging, I will not be able to deploy patches i.e., only the
modified files.
I have to ship the full package but the user with -U option can only
install the modified
files.

I did see some "patch" command which can be used in the header section
i.e.,
preamble section.
Will I be able to build patch from this?

With this if I build a rpm package, will it be a full package or only
the patched files.

Please clarify.

Regs,
Manjula
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:43:33PM -0500, brandon chubb wrote:
> Suppose you're creating a commercial product for Linux, and
> want a system of releasing patches.  What's the preferred method?
>
> I was happy to see 'rpm -U/-F' but it doesn't quite do what
> I want.  I want to be able to make an rpm patch that's sparsely
> populated to only replace objects that need patching, not the
> entire product.  I realize that rpm -U/-F will only replace
> what's changed, but why pack up what the customer doesn't need?
> (And of course it will remove all the files that it doesn't contain
> assuming its got the same base name.)
>
> The alternative is to name the patch package something different,
> say have foo1.0.0-1 for the product and foopatch1.0.0-1 for
> the patch train.  And just let the customer run rpm -i on each
> as its released.  But that means removal of a series of of these
> things upon a major upgrade -- kind of messy.
>
> Am I missing something, or does rpm not deal with sparse (binary)
> patches very well?

rpm deals with packages, not patches, nor files. If you want patch
management, rpm is not the implementation of choice.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)