Re: Requires & Provides on -devel packages (Continued)

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 11:20:05AM +0100, Stefan van der Eijk wrote:
> > Axel Thimm forwarded me here about something I'm implementing in my
> > buildsystem. I was fed up with Makefiles writing outside the buildroot
> > and I wrote a library yesterday that overloads the glibc functions
> > (systemcalls) and checks some conditions before executing. It's called
> > Soapbox. http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/soapbox/

> Before something like this is implemented, the current FUNDEMENTAL
> breakage in the dependancies of the -devel packages needs to be resolved.
> My experience with finding the right BuildRequires is that due to the fact
> that the dependancies for -devel packages are not automatically found it's
> difficult (if not impossible) to maintain.

I see large potential in Dag's method. He is currently using it to see/avoid
writes outside the buildroot, but it could be used to also register all the
reads and to deduce the BuildRequires packages from that. Possibly one would
get too many dependencies, as configure sometimes `overchecks' the
environment, but it would give the packager a maximum set to choose from.
--
Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de