Re: Requires & Provides on -devel packages (Continued)

Dag Wieers <dag@wieers.com> wrote :

> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Stefan van der Eijk wrote:
>
> > On Topic:
> > Is there a way to exclude files from a %files list? Quite some of these
> > duplicate because for instance the files for the icewm-light theme is
> > also included in icewm. Would be nice if these files can excluded from
> > a job.
>
> How about %exclude ?
>
> And wouldn't the packages conflict if they have the same files ? I think
> I haven't seen this behaviour.

The packages providing the same files don't conflict as long as the files
are absolutely identical (or if they're directories I guess). Just try
putting something like "%{_libdir}/*" in both the main and the devel
sub-packages of a package you build, and you'll notice that both will
install just fine.

I'm not really sure about any benefits this has, but that's the behavior
I've seen.

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.54
Load : 0.43 0.17 0.19, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:39)