up2date 'breaks' RPM dependency database?

Hi

Recently, I:

*	installed Red Hat Linux 8.0
*	ran Red Hat's 'up2date' facility

Now, I need to add 'gcc' to this system (I didn't install the 'Development
Tools' major package group originally).  So, using the Red Hat Package
Management GUI, I selected the 'Development Tools' major package group, and
clicked 'Update'.  A minute later, a popup window appeared, saying:

"Packages not found
The following packages could not be found on your system.  Installation
cannot continue until they are installed."

The list of packages includes:

openssl-0.9.6b-29
openldap-2.0.25-1

But, when I use 'rpm -q' to check my system, I find the following installed:

openssl-0.9.6b-31
openldap-2.0.27-2.8.0

Since the versions installed are greater than the versions needed, I would
have thought the installation could occur.  Does RPM REALLY check for the
EXACT version needed?

How can I update RPM's version dependency database by hand, if necessary, to
allow these newer versions?  Is this a good idea?

A colleague suggested that I edit script files.  But I said, 'Nay, nay, we
are not savages here.  This is Red Hat Linux'.

What to do?

Thanks
tl

Terry Lemons
> CLARiiON Applications Integration Engineering
	EMC²
where information lives

4400 Computer Drive, MS D239
Westboro MA 01580