Re: Requires & Provides on -devel packages (Continued)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Matthias Saou wrote:

Dag Wieers <dag@wieers.com> wrote :

> And wouldn't the packages conflict if they have the same files ? I think
> I haven't seen this behaviour.

The packages providing the same files don't conflict as long as the files
are absolutely identical (or if they're directories I guess). Just try
putting something like "%{_libdir}/*" in both the main and the devel
sub-packages of a package you build, and you'll notice that both will
install just fine.

I'm not really sure about any benefits this has, but that's the behavior
I've seen.

Hmmm, if I would have encountered this, I'd probably filled a bugreport about it ;) Is this used anywhere by Red Hat or just seen as 'not urgent' ?

--   dag wieers,  dag@wieers.com,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --
«Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors»