Re: Requires & Provides on -devel packages (Continued)

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:03:49AM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Matthias Saou wrote:
>
> > Dag Wieers <dag@wieers.com> wrote :
> >
> > > And wouldn't the packages conflict if they have the same files ? I think
> > > I haven't seen this behaviour.
> >
> > The packages providing the same files don't conflict as long as the files
> > are absolutely identical (or if they're directories I guess). Just try
> > putting something like "%{_libdir}/*" in both the main and the devel
> > sub-packages of a package you build, and you'll notice that both will
> > install just fine.
> >
> > I'm not really sure about any benefits this has, but that's the behavior
> > I've seen.
>
> Hmmm, if I would have encountered this, I'd probably filled a bugreport
> about it ;) Is this used anywhere by Red Hat or just seen as 'not urgent' ?

rpm has always supported multiple copies of shared identical (md5 sum)
files in sub-packages.

There are certain packaging problems solved with shared files, like
flattening a package chain by including a common file element in each
parent.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ