RE: building a kernel rpm

All newer vanilla kernels have a 'make rpm' option in the Makefile.  I
just found this option a few months ago.  This make option creates both
a binary RPM and an SRPM, but not a kernel-source RPM like Red Hat's.

I use this option to make my custom kernels and it works quite nicely.
A couple of caveats - the RPM doesn't create an initrd if your system
needs one and I don't believe that it adds the proper lines to your
bootloader (GRUB/LILO).  If you want you can run 'make rpm' after you do
a make menuconfig and then break it (CTRL-C) soon after it starts
tarring up the source and then edit the spec file to have the RPM
perform these operations post-install.  You'll also have to edit the
Makefile to make sure that you're spec file doesn't get overwritten when
you run 'make rpm' again.

I just remember to run mkinitrd and hand edit my grub.conf after I
install my kernel RPM and all is well.

Hope this helps,
Andy.