Re: Where a newly-built rpm resides?

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 01:13:49PM -0600, Mark Hatle wrote:
> Jeff Johnson wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 12:21:30PM -0600, Mark Hatle wrote:
> >
> >>Ok.. side question here..  I see that --eval works for the "standard" RPM
> >>command, but of course that doesn't take in to effect anything selected when
> >>"--target=..." is used.  Is there a similar --eval method for rpmbuild?  (I
> >>tried it locally and it didn't work.)
> >>

> > WORKSFORME, rpm-4.1 and later.
>
> Your right.. I read the "rpmb: no spec files given for build" part and didn't
> look above it.
>
> HOWEVER, it does not honor the --target= bit for the evaluated expression.  I'm
> guessing it evaluates the --target after --eval.. :(   (I had to do this already
> for showrc)

Well, rpm does honor --target, but the macros defined as side effect are too
late to be useful in rpmrc macrofiles: directive. Chicken vs. egg ...

Rather than fighting expansion (which is only ever going to be really
fixed when rpmrc config goes away entirely, which probably is impossible
at this point because of building expectations), I suggest setting up
your own per-vendor/per-platform hierarchy statically (i.e. no macro
expansions).

However, if you really insist, there's also --predefine to instantiate
a macro definintion before reading all the config mentioned in the
rpmrc macrofiles: directive.

Be forewarned: all of this immensely complicated and confusing rpm
configuration is a great big pile of hacks on hacks on hacks, and may
be rewritten w/o any warning at some point.

> But I'd guess w/ 5 minutes of time I could get a quick patch for that behavior.
>   It might be a bit trickier though since the eval doesn't stop the system from
> attempting to "build".  Or is that a bug?

Without a grammar and formal documentation, it's impossible to define
"bug" other than as "Not to your expectations". Whence comes hacks to
hacks to ...

But if you think 5 minutes to add Yet Another Hack is appropriate, be my guest.
Patches, as always, cheerfully accepted.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)