Re: Indexing rpm packages into an SQL database

Dag Wieers wrote :

> Have I already told you that I'm interested to have rpm-php bindings ? ;)
> Any _real_ developer around with these skills ?

Sounds pretty nasty to me, I'd almost agree with Seth here ;-)
With all the wonderful CGI stuff that can be done in python (just look at
Mailman), and the python bindings being always the most up-to-date because
of anaconda and all redhat-* tools, python seems like the sensible choice
anyway.
But for me, as I said, PostgreSQL and python never played well together,
and I don't know of any database abstraction layer equivalent to what php's
PEAR offers, although it may exist. So I'll stick with php :-/

BTW, I was looking for the best possible way to extract file information,
dependencies etc. from the command line, and discovered a few obsolete
pointers in the /usr/share/doc/rpm-4.2/queryformat file :

rpm --queryformat "[%{=NAME} %{FILENAMES}\n]" cdp

The above doesn't work without an extra "-q". And :

rpm --queryformat "[%{NAME} %{FILENAMES}\n]" cdp

Is said to require %{=NAME} instead, but it looks like it's no longer the
case as it works fine for me.

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-1.1976
Load : 0.29 0.28 0.27