Re: "rpmbuild --short-circuit -ba": Will this be implemented?

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 01:50:44PM -0400, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> This is a design feature of rpm, guaranteeing that binary packages
> result from a complete build,
> not from hacking on intermediated stages.
>
> So, no, there are no plans to implement this (non-) fetaure.
>
> PITA, yes. But the guarantee is important.

Nice theory, that.  Ever rebuild an OOo RPM with a different compiler
than the one used to package it?

Before I rebuilt RPM with the short-circuit one-liner from Mandrake,
I had created a "nosrc" spec file that just copied from the "real"
buildroot in the install section, and packaged the thing for testing
[so it could SEGV in about 10 seconds].

A tag in the RPM that indicates that it is not from a pristine
build, and a warning message when attempting to install it
would serve the same purpose.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky