spec file variables and scope

Hi,

I was just wondering wether there is any official policy on dealing with variables in the spec file.

e.g.
It would be nice for me to declare a vaiable:

APACHE_HOME=/path/to/apache

and then to be able to reference this variable in the rest of the spec file. Where should I put such a variable and what would its scope be. (Ideally I want the variable to apply to the whole spec file and not just one % section ).

Regards

Al

ninemsn Premium transforms your e-mail with colours, photos and animated text. Click here http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp