Re: template SPEC for Emacs packages?

Paul E. Johnson wrote:

People who distribute Emacs packages always want you to copy their code right into your Emacs dir (/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp or some such) and then do some fussing over it.

Quite disgusting, actually, if you have to maintain a lot of machines.

So I wish I could use RPM to do the magic, but it calls on some skills I have not used before. For example, one thing that is needed is to
scan for a file like /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el, and if it exists, then add lines xyz at the end, and otherwise create it with lines XYZ.

I wish somebody had done this and could point me at a spec file that shows what is involved.

Problem known, /etc/profile.d or /etc/xinetd is the better solution.

Those are directories into which static content is dropped by packages which are then
concatenated when needed. Sure you can add sed to %post and whack in some config
stuff, but invariably there are problems.

Static per-package content in a, say, /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el.d directory that is
then assembled during emacs startup is the best solution for global emacs configuration
through rpm packages.

Or just use sed in %post, that'll work for a few more years too.

73 de Jeff