Listing symlinks in %files: was this always supported?

I have a vague recollection of a time when symlinks couldn't be
listed in %files (and thus couldn't be contained in the RPM).  Thus
symlinks would have to be handled completely in the %post, %postun,
etc.

Is my memory correct, or flawed?  If it's true that older
versions of RPM couldn't handle symlinks in %files, in
what version was this feature first included?

Thanks.

--
Bart Whiteley <bwhiteley@novell.com>
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of information solutions