Re: bundle resorces into the RPM package

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Ben Tu wrote:

> Hi All,
> Is it possible to bundle resources into RPM package and use them at install
> time (%pre)?
> I woule like to bundle "myutil" tool into the RPM package and use it at the
> pre-install.
> so %pre script can use that use to to check for something on the client
> machine before it
> install the package.
> any help would be appreciated.
It can be done, but its not "easy".  You have to use rpm2cpio to pull the
file out of your rpm (which requires some knowledge of where the rpm is
located).  My personal preference is to defer the running of such a
utility till %post.  Otherwise, another approach is to create a seperate
rpm that your rpm depends on that contains this utility.

Cheers...james