Packaging kernel modules that replace shipped modules

I know that I had this problem discussed in the thread "Obsolete/replace
only a file?" and Ville Skyttä indicated an interest in the answer as
well so I thought I would post what I found here.

We needed to find a mechanism to prepend a path to the default paths in
/etc/modules.conf in order to prefer loading of a kernel modules we
supplied before modutils would check the modules shipped in the
distribution kernel.

As of Fedora Core 1 and RHEL 3 modutils (at least, the Red Hat modutils)
will search /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates before the standard
location.  So to override a shipped module it just needs to be installed
in the updates location.  No more need to prepend any paths.

Hope that helps someone out there :)

Sean