rpm build with static rpm libs (only)

I've got a situation where I'd like to limit the
number of shared libraries installed to a defined
(LSB) set.  Thus, I was looking for a way to build
rpm such that the libraries built out of the
rpm source tree are linked statically, but existing
system libraries would be linked dynamically.

configure --disable-static links everything
fully static.

Any thoughts?