RAM requirements...

Hi,
    We have RPM running (RPM -4.1 that came with MOntavista Linux 3.1)
on our device and we use RPMs to install/upgrade our software on it.
This device has 128M ram but no swap space.
RPM commands fail with a malloc failure for huge chunks of memory. For
e.g., a rpm -aq command fails with a malloc failure of 120M.
    But with a cleaned up database with just the required packages in it
the database size reduced to 1.2M and commands start working as
expected.
    Can anyone tell what is the RAM requirements for RPM to work?

Regards,
Ram Prakash. R