python nosignatures/digests in rpm 4.4.1?

I have a little python script I use to identify and remove duplicate RPMs
from a tree. Since for this purpose I don't need to check signatures (and in
fact, don't want to -- some of the packages might not be signed with a key
that I consider "trusted" for my purposes). So, I'd been doing:

  ts = rpm.TransactionSet()
  ts.setVSFlags(~(rpm._RPMVSF_NOSIGNATURES|rpm._RPMVSF_NODIGESTS))

This has the additional benefit of speeding the thing up by a factor of,
like, twenty.

Anyway, we're finally getting around to doing FC4/FC5 stuff, and I
discovered that, while the script *works* fine, it now dies if it hits an
unsigned package -- the above incantation notwithstanding. And it seems like
it's running pretty slowly. So my impression is that the flags now don't
actually do anything.

I couldn't find anything about this in the changelog... can anyone point me
in the right direction? Thanks!