%files section of SPEC file

Good morning,

I am new to RPM creation and I am attempting to build my first "ground up" package. I'm using RH 4.5 as a build platform and have the following question:

I have the following variables relevant to this discussion:

%define buildroot /usr/src/redhat

When populating the %files section, how do I specify that a file should be taken from the build root of:

%{buildroot}/etc/

...and placed in the final destination of:

/etc

I keep getting the entire %{buildroot} created on the destination host.

TIA,
--
Joshua M. Miller - RHCE,VCP