[scl.org] Idea: Software Collections Daemons Made System-wide

This is basically a kick-off for getting more feedback for an idea shared at http://www.themindiseverything.eu/2017/03/software-collections-daemons-made.html.

Shortly, SCL has worked nicely for several years and people love them. But even the beloved ones have some issues. And what we hear from users, the issues with Software Collections concept currently are basically those:

* we need to use scl enable, which changes $PATH and other environment variables, so the binaries placed in different location are visible by the system * scripts originally written for "normal" MySQL use full paths (like /usr/bin/mysql) which does not work when we only have the Software Collection installed * Data directory, config files and log files are on different location than it is common

The blog post tries to summarize possible solution, which I'm looking for feedback now, ideally by replying to this mail..

TIA,
Honza