[scl.org] Idea: Software Collections Daemons Made System-wide

Vacelet, Manuel manuel.vacelet at enalean.com
Tue Mar 21 17:04:13 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 4:05 PM, Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:

> This is basically a kick-off for getting more feedback for an idea shared
> at http://www.themindiseverything.eu/2017/03/software-
> collections-daemons-made.html.
>
> Shortly, SCL has worked nicely for several years and people love them. But
> even the beloved ones have some issues. And what we hear from users, the
> issues with Software Collections concept currently are basically those:
>
> * we need to use scl enable, which changes $PATH and other environment
> variables, so the binaries placed in different location are visible by the
> system
> * scripts originally written for "normal" MySQL use full paths (like
> /usr/bin/mysql) which does not work when we only have the Software
> Collection installed
> * Data directory, config files and log files are on different location
> than it is common
>
> The blog post tries to summarize possible solution, which I'm looking for
> feedback now, ideally by replying to this mail..

Hi Honza,

I do love SCLs and I share most of the pitfalls you raised about using them
(I would have loved not to write tons of custom scripts to manage my
various parallel PHP / Nginx versions on my systems).

Do you foresee a way to deal with package dependencies ?
I might be wrong but when I'm installing packages that requires
php(language>=5.3) it doesn't see rh-php56 or rh-php70 scls
It's a bit cumbersome because I end-up having the default package installed
whereas I'm only using the ones that come from SCLs

Last, as an alternative to wrapper package, I find useful the
"update-alternative" from debian.
It's pretty much the same thing (links AFAIK) but switch is done with a
command rather than a package install.

Manuel