[Sound] Re: audio cd problems

I get my messages for this list in a digest format and they aren't present in the email but in an attachment of txt files so I don't know how to reply to a specific message.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I can dual-boot Windows and everything works dandy over there.  I opened up my box and the cable is present and secure.

I have a 4 speaker set, so my rear speakers are plugged into the rear out and the front speakers are plugged into the line out.  My mic is obviously in the mic.  :)  Everything is plugged properly in the back.

I was told to use the emu10k1 driver instead of the ALSA drivers.  Will they work?  When I googled for my problem, not only did I find no solution for the emu10k1 driver but I found tons of people were having problems with the ALSA drivers.  Are they worth it to give it a try or am I going to be in more of a mess?

Thanks again.