[Sound] Problem with nVidia MCP51 HDA

Jason Smith jvsmith at digitalmatter.us
Wed Nov 22 21:16:21 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 00:17 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 22:08 -0600, Jason Smith wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've recently purchased an Asus M2NPV-VM mainboard. I'm using the
> > on-board sound with HDA turned on in the BIOS. The problem that I'm
> > having is that when I try to change the volume using Volume Control
> > 2.16.1 or any other change the audio stops even though the player shows
> > the audio still playing. The only way to be able to hear audio from the
> > speakers again is to reboot. If I stop the audio before changing the
> > volume then restart the audio I still hear audio. I've done a couple of
> > quick test with both XMMS and mpg321.
>
> Trying using the swiss army knife of audio applications... mplayer.
> It'll work when everything else fails. If it works, then there is a
> setup problem elsewhere. I use KDE, so I go into the control center and
> dink with audio/sound settings there. Then I use Kmixer to adjust the
> settings. Also, when I first fired up the Soundcard Detection thingie,
> it listed my web camera, no fooling! Clicking on that bar also gave me
> the correct device that I have installed to use, so I selected that and

Same thing happens if I use mplayer. It also doesn't matter if I use
alsamixer or gnome-volume-control to change the volume. It also doesn't
matter if the user who is playing or changing the volume is root or a
regular user. I have found that if I fool with the settings enough and
click IEC95B and Stereo Downmix buttons a couple of times the audio
comes back. All in all this is a weird problem. Any other suggestions or
comments?

Thanks,
Jason