[Spacewalk-devel] Path to PostgreSQL Update

Partha Aji paji at redhat.com
Thu Jul 3 04:29:02 EDT 2008

I was looking at the large number of functions/stored procedures that
would have to be ported from Oracle to Postgresql and then I noticed
this http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/plpython.html .

Considering the number of developers familiar with python I was
wondering if plpythoning all the stored procedures would be any more
useful plpgsling the full thing.
Was wondering if anyone had experience with plpython vs plpgsql or
comments to share on the merits of one approach vs other. Note I am not
saying plpython is the answer for everything, I am just thinking if it
might be  useful for some of the 30+ lines stored procs we have.. For
the smaller ones we can probably get away just using language =sql ..
Infact  I'd want the really small ones to directly go to application code...

Partha