[Spacewalk-devel] Solution for NVREA issue?

Pradeep Kilambi pkilambi at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 08:42:46 EDT 2008

James Bowes wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:28:43PM -0400, Justin Sherrill wrote:
>
>> Pradeep and I spec'd out the best solution we could come up with for the
>> NVREA issue.  Details on that can be found here:
>>
>> https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/NevraIssue
>>
>> If you are not familiar with the issue a brief synopsis is on that page
>> as well.  I would really appreciate anyone/everyone looking over it for
>> feedback/concerns, which is very welcomed.  If you have a better idea
>> that would require less effort or would be somehow better, please please
>> please, let us know :}
>>

> Without looking too deeply at the issue, because frankly it makes my
> brane hurt, here's three points:
>
> * RPMs already have a 'Vendor' tag which afaik is populated correctly by
>   RHEL, Fedora and CentOS.

Yep we do. But this field is not very reliable as we were told. Jsherill
spoke to few at FudCon as well
regarding this issue. For example, there are few packages in fedora that
still show the vendor as redhat.
So we decided not to rely on this field.

> * We always talk about this as being a unique NEVRA, but I think the
>   code and the filer layout actually enforces a unique NVRA. You may or
>   may not want to change this.

Yea, this could end up as a potential problem. But I think if we enforce
a few rules such as
mentioned in the wiki, we should be able to get away by adding an extra
restriction on provider. But probably the
devil is in the details.