[Spacewalk-devel] Informal Devel Environment Survey

Partha Aji paji at redhat.com
Sat Jan 24 00:09:28 EST 2009

My setup involves the following

1) Workstation with Fedora on it. This workstation has eclipse +
sudo yum install ant-nodeps junit ant-junit java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel
sudo rpm -Uvh
http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/jpackage/1.7/generic/free/RPMS/ivy-1.3.1-1jpp.noarch.rpm
it also has a checkout of the spacewalk git repo.
The checkout directory has the code directory listed in /etc/exports to
make it  available across systems for NFS mount.
It also has a Vmware Server running on it with a Rhel 5 VM.

2) The Rhel 5 VM has Spacewalk setup from the
https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToInstall instructions ..
I then go to
https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/DevelopmentWorkstationSetup
I skip the git checkoout part and instead mount the directory exported
from fedora.., I follow every other step formt he development
workstation setup.

Idea is to do the development + compilation using the  Eclipse IDE on
Fedora and runtime with ant/tomcat5/apache etc on Rhel 5 where a
'spacewalk-like' environemnt is present.

Trick is to maintain the same directory structure + user permission
(including same UID + GIDs) information across both machines..
so for example if the git directory is in
/opt/sw/spacewalk on fedora it is the same in rhel 5 ..
if my UID is XXX on fedora, there must be a user with the same name and
name UID in rhel 5.

I would think a similar setup could work for Fedora/Centos combination
also...

This is  a fairly complicated setup but i like the separation between
development and runtime environment..

Partha