[Spacewalk-devel] SSM Asynchronous Actions

Jesus Rodriguez jesusr at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 17:11:19 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 04:12:43PM -0500, Jason Dobies wrote:
[snip]

> Outside of what we track for a request, the big question is how to
> thread off the work.
>
> One possibility is taskomatic, which I'm not entirely familiar with. I
> do see from the wiki that we have tasks scheduled for once a minute,
> which I think is an acceptable delay before one of these SSM actions
> begins to process.

taskomatic can run tasks that poll in any configuration. i.e. once a
minute, daily, etc.

> I think we have to be able to allow more than one of these SSM actions
> to take place concurrently, however there is a definite upper limit to
> how many we should allow at once. We'll also need a mechanism to time
> out these actions and potentially a way for a user-initiated cancel. I'm
> not sure if it's possible to exercise this sort of set up through
> taskomatic/quartz. Anyone familiar care to comment?

You can start a job using the MessageQueue. :) It was originally
written to send out emails, but we also used it to calcuate the errata cache
during login. It's as simple creating an appropriate Event class and
an Action (NOT a Struts Action) class.

> Otherwise, outside of EJBs, I'm not sure of any other options (besides
> just spinning off my own threads, but I doubt we want to go that
> route).

The above mechanism is effectively a new thread :)

jesus m. rodriguez        | jesusr at redhat.com
sr. software engineer     | irc: zeus
rhn satellite & spacewalk | 919.754.4413 (w)
rhce # 805008586930012    | 919.623.0080 (c)
|  "Those who cannot learn from history     |
|   are doomed to repeat it."               |
|                       -- George Santayana |