[Spacewalk-devel] Questions about some translations

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Fri Nov 19 03:33:42 EST 2010

On 11/19/2010 12:05 AM, Luc de Louw wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was asked to contribute some German translations to spacewalk. Of
> course I'll do that. Translation stats on "backend" went up from AFAIR
> 44% to now 72%.
>
> So far so good. On
> https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/p/spacewalk/c/spacewalk-server/
> I detected some strings that I never saw before on my daily work as a
> sat and spacewalk user.

Right now, you could not see translated strings of backend
(spacewalk-server), because we do not set header Accepted-Language in
XMLRPC protocol. We should address it soon, since we already have
several translation in backend.
Right now, you can see translated string in rhn-client-tools,
yum-rhn-plugin and rhnsd.

Other thing is Java translation, which is not supported by Transifex:
$ find |grep StringResource |grep -i _de
./code/src/com/redhat/rhn/frontend/strings/template/StringResource_de.xml
./code/src/com/redhat/rhn/frontend/strings/database/StringResource_de.xml
./code/src/com/redhat/rhn/frontend/strings/nav/StringResource_de.xml
./code/src/com/redhat/rhn/frontend/strings/java/StringResource_de.xml
./code/src/com/redhat/rhn/frontend/strings/jsp/StringResource_de.xml
./code/src/com/redhat/rhn/common/localization/test/StringResource_de_DE.xml
But this is most probably all translated for DE.

> For high quality translations, it is needed to see the stings in its
> context. For that I need provoke several error-messages and some help
> how to provoke them.

You can at least see where in code it is used.

  #: ../server/handlers/xmlrpc/up2date.py:258
  #, python-format
  msgid "Unable to retrieve package header %s"
-msgstr "Konnte Paket-Kopf %s nicht abrufen"
+msgstr "Konnte Paket-Header %s nicht abrufen"

Means that is is used on ../server/handlers/xmlrpc/up2date.py in line 258

> Questions:
>
> 1. Is this list the right resource to ask questions to ensure strings
> are understood like they should?

Yes, it is. Anything related of Spacewalk development is welcomed here.
And development is not just coding. Translation, documentation, design
changes are welcomed as well.

> 2. Is git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/spacewalk.git/ and
> subsequent git pull the right source for po files? (Transifex is almost
> unusably slow)

Yes. Transifex is doing just the same.

> 3. Is the master/trunk branch the right one?

Yes.

> 4. Is it fine to run "cd ~/spacewalk/backend/po; make install" and
> having the newly translated strings available to the installed spacewalk?

Probably yes, I never done it. We prefer to do change, commit it to your
local git, run:
  tito build --test --rpm
install result (if it is on the same server you can utilize -i option).
And if it ok, push the changes. In your case upload .po file using
Transifex.
--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering